Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rest and Be Thankful

Rest and be thankful hill climb was run from 1949 to 1969
as competition to the British Hill Climb Championship.
  Jackie Stewart raced a Ford 105E engined Marcos here in 1961.
He said: "it's a special place for me, the cradle of my life in
motor racing. I must say as a young American,
I was fascinated by the array of cars,
in particular the Cooper-Japs and Cooper-Norton.
these are some pictures from the June 1964 event.
The first is a Maserati Special driven by Lord Doune
of the Doune Motor Museum, note duel rear wheels.
The next is Mrs. Agnes Mickel in a Cooper.







Maserati Special


Agnes Mickel
Maserati Special

Chaparral Cannonball

Cooper - Monaco?


Mason Mk.1 special











5 comments:

  1. Use The Nostalgia Forum as a research tool someone there will know who that Lord Someone is, in fact between them TNF will know every single detail you need to up grade this from a fascinating to excellent blog, and most likely you'll have answers with in an hour ! Try it ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have some excellent photographs of 'the Rest'.
    In particular the one of the driver with a red and yellow crash helmet !!!!!!!!!!!!! It's me on my way to breaking the hill record in 1964 which still stands to this day. I returned to the spot a few years ago and drove my hired Ford Fiesta up the hill at 5mph avoiding the many potholes. Glad you enjoyed your stay in Scotland which remains very picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is that a yellow and red helmet in the last picture?I spent three years at Prestwick and loved it, been back twice and still love it.

      Delete
    2. Yes that's right. Glad you liked the area. The scenery is stunning.

      Delete
  3. I guess petergarnet must be Peter Boshier-Jones, because that's him in the Lotus. The black Cooper-JAP with the red lion rampant on the startline is Tom Adair's.

    ReplyDelete