Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Funny thing happened on the way to Monaco

Another note concerning my friend Duncan Cameron.  In either 1963 or 64 one of the Birell brothers of Glasgow motor sports fame asked Duncan for a favor.  That was to paint a helmet for Jackie Stewart for his F-3 Monaco race.  He wanted his family tartan which Duncan did. The day before leaving we discovered that he had not painted the detachable white visor which covered some of the tartan.  In order to have it dry in time we put it in his grill of his stove.  After a few EcEwan's, sniff, sniff, what was that? It was the melted visor.  Luckily there was a black visor with the helmet.  The attached picture, may or may not be that helmet, I didn't take it, but I do have a nice autograph from Jackie and Graham.
I found a picture online of this helmet.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent shot and interesting story not one in the JYS biography from a couple of years ago as I recall :-)

    ReplyDelete